Sunday bus service now available in Asheville. Click to review the schedule.
Group Topics for October 2015
(Including Middle School Group & Franklin Youth Group)
November 1st – The State of YO!
- For this meeting, we will be joined by Youth Outright Board members who will lead discussions with youth around the future of YO. Youth will discuss what they would like to see from YO in the future and in which directions they would like to see YO grow.
November 8th – Finding Your Voice and How to Use It!
- We will have Joshua Bledsoe from Blue Ridge Community College as a guest facilitator for this group. Through activities, Josh will work with youth to help you identify your own authentic voices along with effective techniques to help ensure that those voices are heard loud and clear.
November 15th – Movie Night – The Normal Heart
- This film is about the early days of the HIV-AIDS crisis in 1980’s New York City. Click here to view a trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZxR9XHS0H8
November 22nd – Here Come the Holidays: Self-Care
- Let’s face it, the holidays can be stressful. Especially for LGBTQ youth. We will be discussing coping skills and other ways to take care of ourselves with a house full of relatives and family friends.
November 29th – Field Trip to Visit the AIDS Memorial Quilt
· We will meet at the Renaissance Hotel (31 Woodfin Street) and tour the AIDS Memorial Quilt.
Franklin Youth Group Meeting
Macon County Public Library, 149 Siler Farm Road, Franklin, NC 28734
Monday, November 2, 4:00 – 6:00 pm – Movie Night – Prayers for Bobby
· This film is about the true story of Mary Griffith, gay rights crusader, whose teenage son committed suicide due to her religious intolerance. Based on the book of the same title by Leroy Aarons. Click here for a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_7aJuRZd8
YOYO’s (Middle School) Discussion Group
First Congregational United Church of Christ, 20 Oak Street, Asheville, NC 28801
Saturday, November 21, 11:00 am – 12:30 pm – Creative Writing Exercises
- This meeting will include several writing prompts and activities to spark discussion and storytelling. There will be opportunities to share your writing with the group, but sharing is completely optional.